Thursday, June 19, 2008

Day 36, What a relief

In an e-mail Patrick sent to Corry, David, and I on Tuesday he gave us all a little bit of information that made my day. I mean, really made my day. There was a gasp of relief and everything as I sat back and read a bit of information that calmed the worries I’ve been having about my personal physique. More specifically, my abdominal physique.

A few days ago...possibly, could have been more than a week, I’m not entirely sure, I made a prediction about when the final remaining bits of unnecessary fat hanging out around my lower midsection would finally disappear and stop plaguing me, turning the bathroom mirror from something to be despised into something to enjoy and respect. The original prediction I made was that all of that fat would be gone within a week or a week or a half. Well, it hasn’t happened yet, not completely anyway (it is decreasing, albeit slowly), so my prediction was wrong but I’m not too broken up about that.

No, really, I’m not. Honestly.

Do you want to know why? Well, I’ll tell you, friends, that layer of fat tissue that hangs around the torso refusing to retract its claws from the developing layers of abdominal muscle tissue is called “adipose tissue”. What is adipose tissue? I’ll tell you about that to, adipose tissue is loose connective tissue composed of adipocytes whose main role is store energy in the form of fat--as well as cushion and insulate the surrounding areas. Since my body hasn’t completely bypassed the stage where it turns the food and drink I take in into pure energy, it’s still turning that food into fat to be stored. Well, possibly not, I’m sure that that process is giving its dying gasps and letting loose its death rattle as it struggles to keep on like it used to. Pretty soon I’ll be enjoying the benefits of food turned straight into energy to keep me going through the day.

For a visual reference here are white adipose tissue cells:



And brown adipose tissue cells:


So this stuff hangs on until the very bitter end despite all of the dieting and exercise that I've been doing only to give up and shrink away when all of the other fat stores around my body have gone.

(I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again, I do so love Wikipedia. Where else could you get all of that information about adipose tissue? And for free! Now, I can’t attest to exactly how truthful it is given that it is the internet--who knows, it may just be a bastion of lies--but, jeezy creezy, is it interesting. Way more than YouTube or that rotten MySpace--which I complain about but am still a slave to. It redeems itself every so often when truth breaks on through to the other side like a leaky dam. Something will shine through and fill me with wonder and curiosity, a rare thing to be found while on the internet.)

The best part about that e-mail? Well, my prediction wasn’t entirely wrong, no, it was just off by about a week. According to Patrick that annoying layer of adipose tissue should finally give up and shrink away within, get this, two weeks! Who else is excited? I know I freaking am. Now that following the diet plan isn’t much of an issue anymore and the exercising is, while difficult, definitely doable all I really have to do is sit back (figuratively) and watch the transformation, the drastic improvements occur. Absotively posolutely wonderful.

Do you see why I’m giddy now? One more step to peak condition. And what a step. It’s been something that I’ve wanted to accomplish for a long while now, getting rid of that abdominal fat, and now it’s happening and quickly, too, much quicker than I would have thought before I started the project.

Wonderful.

2 comments:

Corry said...

Do I ever hear you on that topic. All I can say is AMEN! Now let's keep on pushing and blast this stuff off our bodies.

Patrick said...

When it does finally go it will mean your body fat percentage is down below 10. That's a great place to be!