Sunday, June 15, 2008

Day 32, Slight personal disappointment, and a cursing

With a hint of thoughtfulness thrown in.

Let’s get the cursing out of the way, shall we? Because that’s what fascinates people, doesn’t it?

In the name of all that is groovy and painless, I curse to the bottom-most depths of all that is agonizing and annoying, judo. Aaa, judoooOOO!

No, I’m blowing that out of proportion. Really judo has become an enjoyable weekend recreation and learning experience now that karate isn’t doing it for me the way it used to. But, unfortunately, given the intrinsic nature of judo it just isn’t a good class if it isn’t filled with pain of the sort that makes you feel like dying wouldn't be such a bad alternative all of the time, which makes absolutely no sense since the definition of judo is “the gentle way”. Odd, I know.

As for the slight personal disappointment, well, let me start by saying that yes I know all of this being hard on myself stuff is not healthy for me at all, especially considering how intensive this project is. Despite that, I’m still a bit disappointed in myself, probably more so than is necessary but that’s my intense perfectionism for you. The physical nature of judo has had some nasty side effects on my shoulder and ankle so that when I went to exercise yesterday afternoon after the class I found that I wasn’t able to do much of anything beyond the jumprope. Yesterday was the first time in 31 days of this project that I haven’t been able to finish my daily exercises. So you can see why I’m a little upset with myself.

I need to keep telling myself that while it was a disappointing setback yesterday, it was only one day and it certainly isn’t indicative of the rest of my work in the project. More importantly, by taking it much easier on myself yesterday I may have avoided even greater injury that would have required a much longer rest period than one night.

Still, it’s hard to get over myself. I’ve always been my harshest opponent and critic (just like everyone is with themselves) and I forget to rein myself in whenever my overactive self gets too hard on itself. While that does keep me going, always trying to better myself, and keeps me from quitting in a most embarrassing fashion it also makes being proud of the work I’ve done so far hard to be satisfied with.

Well, there we go, another goal for me to try and accomplish in the future: stop being so hard on myself.

Also, for those of you who are interested, my shoulder is suffering from something called subacromial bursitis. Ah, how I love Wikipedia. Now if I could just find out what's beguiling me ankle.

6 comments:

Patrick said...

Gwen had bursitis in her hips and it was cured forever after 2 acupuncture treatments. She did the acupuncture as a last resort before getting into serious surgical stuff.

We were blown away by the results. A decades long problem went away in two weeks. Look into it.

Sean said...

I will look into it. I've always been interested in it, too, so there we go.

Leeann said...

You could have Bursitis in your ankle. Check out http://www.medicinenet.com/bursitis/article.htm

Corry said...

do try the acupuncture and try not to beat yourself up Sean. Keep your eyes on the big picture, Peak Condition is more than just getting a good workout in. It's about our bodies in their optimal states. (oh-and you can remind me of my words when I need a pick me up down the path, easy for me to say this when I'm not facing 2 injuries right?). Hang in there!

David said...

Sean-bro,

I've been there too, man. I'm hard on myself too, and I've been disappointed with my physical performance as well.

Just look at the next time you have excess energy as an opportunity to push yourself harder!

Sean said...

Good advice, sir, really. I need to remember that the next time my resolve and confidence is at a high that way I can take myself to heights never before known.