Tuesday, June 17, 2008

Day 34, Look what I found...

So in my surfings around on the interwebs I was able to find this amazing little thing on the Food Network web site. They’re called Fruit and Tofu Shooters:

Fruit and Tofu Shooters
Recipe courtesy Tyler Florence

1/2 pineapple, peeled and chopped
1 banana, peeled and sliced
1 cup strawberries, quartered
1/2 cup soft tofu (1 block)
1 cup whole milk
2 tablespoons honey
1/2 lime, juiced

Combine all ingredients together in a blender and puree until smooth. Serve immediately.


I’m not sure when exactly I’ll have the time or the desire to make something like this despite how wonderfully tasty they seem even after (or, should I say, especially after) I replace the whole milk with soy milk and the honey with agave nectar. Actually it seems to be less of a matter of when and if I want to make it and more a matter of if I can make it. Obviously I am physically capable of putting all of the ingredients together inside of my trusty blender and pressing the “blend” button to turn everything inside of it into a smooth, sweet concoction that fills the stomach up something good. No, I’m more worried about if I’ll be able to have something like this soon and not stray outside of my diet plan. That’s the real concern.

Unless I give it some thought and modify the amount of ingredients that I try and put into the blender, creating single serving smoothies instead of a giant blender size serving that would probably cause my stomach to, first, tear and then explode very dramatically. I’ll think I’ll give the first one a try since it seems a heck of a lot less messy and definitely more enjoyable for everyone around me (people don’t like to be splattered with the insides of a somebody, right?).

Any hints on how to go about something like that since I am far from a culinary mastermind?

Until I do decide to do that I may just go ahead and look at something like this as a post-PCP indulgence. You know, something to look forward to along with August 15th. It’ll be something to keep me striving towards the end goal and keep me from going off track and doing something unwise. Plus after that whole long wait the thing will have developed in my mind as something epic and possibly mythic so that when I finally do have one it’ll be like the beautiful end scene of the movie Ratatouille where the hard-hearted reviewer Anton Ego takes a bite of the ratatouille that the rat, Remy, makes for him and is transported back to his fondest childhood memory of eating that very same dish at his mother’s table after a particularly bad day outside in the world.

Now that’s something to look forward to.

7 comments:

Patrick said...

That link didn't work for me, can you check it again?

Sean said...

Link still wasn't working so I just listed the recipe in the blog post. Blogger's been weird for me today.

Anonymous said...

Did it say on the site how many servings it's supposed to make? If it's for 4 people lets say just do 25% of all the ingredients. Or maybe next time you are with family and friends make the whole serving and they will be able to enjoy most of it, you can sample and not feel over-indulged and also be giving your friends/family something tasty and perhaps healthier than they are used to is good for them too! Or are you not supposed to have the agave nectar or soy milk at all right now?

Nate

Sean said...

Well the recipe says that it makes about four or five servings so I'll have to adjust the ingredient amounts in the way you suggested. I'm not entirely sure if soy milk and agave nectar is totally, 100% off limits, I'd have to check with Patrick on that one but I'm sure that if I use those things in moderation (like everything else) then it wouldn't be much of a problem at all. I really hope that I'll be able to start dipping into the soy milk more because I really miss that stuff.

We'll see.

Anonymous said...

I must say I enjoy the almond milk as well. Unsweetened of course.

Patrick said...

There's nothing inherently "bad" about the recipe, you could use it as your afternoon fruit course. The thing about soy milk is that it is really hard to build muscle from it, and we're trying to eat stuff that only works towards muscle growth.

Everything else, at least for now, is just filler.

But a little soy milk won't hurt anything.

Sean said...

That is good to hear, Patrick, because boyo do I love my Silk. I've not been under the impression that soy milk will help develop muscle in the way that I really want to (at least not since you hammered that point into me a few weeks ago). No, I've been keen on taking in soy milk for the other benefits and things my body has to have like calcium and vitamin B12 and those other things that my body needs daily that I'm not sure I'm getting from the other things in my daily diet.