Tuesday, June 10, 2008

Day 27, All you naysayers...

“Be who you are and say what you think, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.”

That quote above is usually attributed to Dr. Seuss even though he never actually said it originally, that was Bernard Baruch. I like thinking that Dr. Seuss made it what it is today because it makes him seem more fatherly and wise than you can normally come across.

And it ties in pretty perfectly with a phenomenon that I’ve noticed happening ever since I started this project--the tendency for people to fight you, ridicule you, and generally try to make anything good you do for yourself as hard as it possibly can be.

I have never understood this way of acting and I don’t think that I ever will, really I don’t think that I ever want to because understanding something like that makes me think that I’d be more inclined to accept their close-mindedness and almost even empathize with the people who don’t want to improve themselves.

Being a vegan, I come across this way of thinking (or non-thought, rather) almost on a daily basis. People--not all people but a lot of people--don’t understand why I do what I do and why I believe what I believe and and can only meet my beliefs with ignorance. That sort of thing can lead people down a bad road.

Sounds crazy and like I’m lashing out at people but that is, very unfortunately, the way of people. That which is new or different to a person or society is very commonly met with ridicule and sometimes even hostility. It’s caused a whole heap of problems in the world and it will continue to forever.

I’m sounding pessimistic and preachy here and that’s not really my intention. Despite all of that bad energy coming our way there are always people that think the opposite and will fight to keep rationality and compassion in the world and our actions. You, my fellow readers, are some of those people and I’m eternally appreciative and grateful for you guys. By taking the time to follow Patrick, Corry, David, and I on our journeys you’re showing that you are interested in turning yourselves into better people and that you are not susceptible to falling into the tempting destructive thought patterns that poison the people who will fight something as harmless as the PCP.

Because really when it comes down to it the peak condition project, being a vegan, etc. are all personal things that in the end don’t hugely affect anyone outside of them--except for for those people who are interested in bettering themselves. Perhaps it’s that others feel threatened by the positive changes that one makes and the positive things that happen to a person because of those changes that those threatened people lash out verbally or physically but when it comes down to it there is nothing inherently threatening about those things.

I’m not really going anywhere with this because I can’t solve something like this; it’s to be expected from certain people. So what can you do? How’s about this: think of it not as an impediment to your goals but as a driving force. Your main reason to better yourself should not be to show everyone that their negativity doesn’t matter and that you’re better than them. That would be walking down the wrong path. Think of those negative things you happen upon in daily life as reasons to do something, if you make yourself better than you’re another step further away from becoming like those toxic people who spew out negativity. As for those poisonous people? Keep away from them because they aren’t worth your time or energy and never will be.

I’ll have to start paying more attention to that advice, too.

4 comments:

Patrick said...

I'm curious, what kind of reactions do you get when people find out your a vegan?

Sean said...

So far I haven't encountered any downright hostility when people find out about it.

Mostly I've been faced with a lot of blank stares and the questions that you would expect to get from people who haven't taken the time to understand it. I'm sure you know those, "But how do you get your protein?", "You can eat fish, though, right?", "So, what, no milk? That doesn't make any sense", "I couldn't ever do that, I like meat too much".

You know, the usual stuff. That stuff I can handle. I'm getting tired of the lame-o jokes I get from all of the people I work with at the karate school, very "red-blooded, never met a steak I didn't like, firmly right wing, keep your Mexican feet off my land and your hands off my guns" people (well, not all of them and not nearly as bad as I'm making them sound). Sure I can laugh along with them the first couple of times but after a while the stuff they say goes from being kind of funny to being completely unnecessary on every level.

Boy-o don't I sound bitter there?

Corry said...

Hmmm,makes me think back to Patrick's email to us the other day about the guy who dissed his Yoga Studio idea before it even came to fruition. I'm trying to keep my radar up for these 'naysayers' too so that I can avoid them before they drain my energy. It's tough eh, because so many positive changes are happening to us now, we just want to enjoy the rewards of our work and not have them trashed by others. Hang in there Sean.

Sean said...

Exactly, Corry. Wonderfully said...of course, it's sometimes much easier said than done but that's when the ol' blowoff is employed for those people, the schoolyard bully types, and then I can merrily go on my way, happy that I haven't had my mindset marred by who they are.