Wednesday, June 4, 2008

Day 21, Weird cravings galore

Or should I say, um, normal cravings?

First of all, by the end of today it will have officially been three weeks since the project project actually started for David, Corry, and I. Whoo hoo! This is an event that can only be matched by by the elation brought on by getting through two weeks of the project. Week four, bring it on baby! You’ve got a lot to live up to, you better rock it like a sprocket.

Now then, on to the actual post for the day. I’ve been noticing the last few days, along with all of the amazingly awesome physical changes that are occurring, all of these strong and insistent cravings for stuff that I’ve never felt a craving for before and most definitely not as strong as this. It’s very odd and I almost don’t know what to do about it. On the one hand if I give into those cravings then the project could potentially be set back a few steps that would be difficult to catch up on not to mention how much of a struggle it would be to keep my determination and discipline at the high it’s at right now. On the other hand do I just let those cravings sit and stew inside of me until I can’t take it anymore and start lashing out in other ways like freaking out at work or becoming something altogether indescribable?

Hard to decide there. Of course it would help if I actually told you all what those particular cravings are, now wouldn’t it? Over the last few days I’ve been feeling a strong craving for fruit. Lots of fruit and sometimes some vegetables (although the vegetables aren’t tempting me too much considering how freaking much I have to eat on a daily basis already). It’s very odd and something that I’ve never really experienced before, well, not with fruit, which is also odd because I’m a vegan, you would think that that would be all I eat, fruits and vegetables. Truthfully though, I was much more into the prepackaged vegan meals that you can find in the freezer section of your local grocery store and fruit eating was something that only happened maybe once every other day.

With the diet plan that Chen has me on I am able to get a pretty good amount of fruit into my daily meals but, as with any good thing, that little bit is not enough to sate me nowadays. I only get to eat maybe 300 to 400 grams of fruit a day but I desire more. I find myself staring at the fruit bowl in the kitchen thinking, “Who’s going to know? Patrick’s way over in Japan, there’s no way he’s going to know if I sneak an extra nectarine or fig or piece of pineapple.”

It’s a brand new feeling for me, a great feeling I must admit because I’m no longer craving all of that crap that I used to live on (although my desire for Pop-Tarts is going to be a tough one to kill and isn’t something that I really want to get rid of. I mean, they’re Pop-Tarts, come on!). It’s nice to know that while I am craving something more, at least I’m craving something healthy for a change. It lets me know that I’m on the right track, I think, and gives me an extra boost of confidence and invigoration. It keeps driving me to the next day when I can eat more of the oh so good stuff that I want to have.

Have a mahvelous day everyone.

3 comments:

Patrick said...

Once your fat stores are gone, you can eat as much fruit as you want. The better you stick to it now, the sooner you'll be at that day.

I crave fruit all the time now too. And poptarts taste nasty dude!

Corry said...

oh man, I sooooo know what you mean. Today i ate my 100 grams of cherries up and thought "is that all?". Mind you, today I could have eaten a house...god it was a tough day. thanks for your post, nice to get a lift hearing you're doing well. Hey, here's a confession, I've never in my 36 years eaten a pop tart...REALLY!

Sean said...

:-)

I'm glad to hear that I'm not alone here in my hunger pangs. Never eaten a Pop-Tart? My memories of them make me want to say, "Really?! But they're amazing!" but seeing as how I haven't had them for nearly a month my feelings for them may have changed. Oh well, I'm loving my fruit.