Saturday, May 17, 2008

Day 3, The weekenders

Even before this project started I had been worrying about this day, yes, this particular day. Now I wouldn't say that I've been dreading it but I certainly wasn't feeling totally cool about it either. For as long I've been really aware of what I was eating (since about the time I started high school, when that kind of stuff seemed to matter. Superficially, I see now) I've also been aware of how consistently difficult the weekends have been when it comes to watching what I eat. For me the weekends, nearly every single one of them, have been a challenge to keep myself from going overboard. It has been consistently difficult to keep myself from letting my attention slip away from what I was putting into a bowl and letting myself overindulge in the worst kind of way. For the most part that was my weekend routine: a whole lot of food in big bowls followed by a whole heaping, heavy feeling of guilt afterwards that was as difficult to get over as the uncomfortable feeling I got from shoveling all of that food into my body. It's something about all of the free time I have during the weekends and the general laziness of those days when there's nothing much to be done, it's very conducive to stuffing my cheeks like a chipmunk during the wintertime.



There's been many a time when my afternoon has looked exactly like that, except without, you know, the fur.

Of course I realize that I'm only into my third day of the Peak Condition Project but I think it's safe to say that this fresh realization as I'm knee deep in the PCP will guarantee that I'm going to be hyper-aware of what I'm putting into my breakfast, lunch, and dinner bowl from now on. I'm also sure that by the time August 15th rolls around those horrible weekend eating habits of my past will have been replaced by healthy PCP eating habits. Instead of mindlessly stuffing myself with the worst and fattiest junk that the food industry has to offer I will have developed the kind of eating habits that will keep me slim, healthy, and happy.

And, you know, I am very excited about that. In many ways I think that is going to be the most meaningful and important thing that I get out of this project, not just a muscular, good looking body but a better knowledge of myself and a mindset that will keep me strong and healthy for the rest of my life.

And, really, who wouldn't want that?

1 comment:

Patrick said...

Yep, the days off are tough. Keep yourself busy. If you just sit around you're going to think about all the food you could be eating.

I started a ton of new projects when I began the PCP, mainly because I needed to do something in those times I used to park myself in front of a huge bowl of something unhealthy.