Thursday, July 10, 2008

Day 57, Curiouser and curiouser

I hit upon a realization yesterday at about maybe 5:30, right in the middle of helping out a class at work, that these vegetables, for the first time since starting the project are really starting to wear on me. It was an odd realization since, for the most part, the vegetables had always been a part of the day that I looked forward to. I mean, they’re a hell of a lot more enjoyable than all of the massive amounts of exercising I have to do every day so I don’t know exactly what brought this on.

Well, I may have an inkling of an idea. I think that I’ll be blaming this weird occurrence on the recent indulgence day I treated myself to. Eating those foods of old reminded me of a time when 250 grams of vegetables was an unthinkable amount of the green and leafies to be stuffing into my body day in and day out (heck 250 grams of anything is an almost unthinkable amount of food). Of course that odd to say since before the project I was probably taking in close to that amount of sodium packed, carbohydrate laden, calorie bombs without so much as a second thought.

So what of this rift in the force of the PCP? Well, I think the indulgence day did something for me (ah, one more thing that it’s good for, the wonders never cease), it cleared up the lazy fog I’ve been wandering around in these last few days. I can’t pinpoint exactly the last time that I had vegetables that weren’t the ones that spring to mind readily when you think of vegetables: carrots, broccoli, cauliflower, green beans, corn.

I think I’ve hit upon it there, I’ve driven myself into a deep rut of sameness that the vegetables that once were fairly bright and new are now dulled and grey, a chore to eat and certainly not a joy to cook all the time. Instead of branching out and trying new stuff, expanding my food horizons and discovering new oral wonders I’ve sunk into an old habit of relying on the same food to get me through my days and weeks.

And that’s not what the PCP’s all about, people, no, not at all. So what’s to be done about it? Well, the obvious of course, and in that I’ll ask for your help first, what can you, my loyal readers, suggest that I try as a way to break out of this rut I’ve dug for myself. What different and exotic vegetables are out there that I’ve yet to try and are just waiting to be devoured by me in a fit of curiosity and wonder?

Any suggestions would be perfect.

Also, a quick diet update: nothing much has changed except that now, instead of 100 grams of carbs at breakfast I can now have 150 grams. Maybe I can use full size burrito tortillas instead of the dinky soft taco sized ones for a morning breakfast burrito if I so choose. Huzzah!

3 comments:

Corry said...

Ok, a couple fav's that pop into mind as I type. FRESH garden tomotoes with fresh basil and fresh ground pepper ontop your breaky toast with egg or try a colourful mix of peppers sliced and steamed with red onion and tofu nestled into your wraps...YUM! maybe a wee bit of hummus spread across the wrap before loading up with peppers for flavour. Hope that helps ease the monotony!

Sean said...

You're freaking right YUM! I will definitely have to look out for those things the next time I'm at the market walking on past the broccoli and carrots section for the tasty fresh stuff you've mentioned. Unfortunately I'll have to skip out on the eggs (against the whole vegan thing) and the hummus (probably deathly allergic to the stuff).

Now where can I find fresh garden tomatoes around here?

Corry said...

ooooooops, i'm such a geek, totally forgot about the eggs, Sorry Sean!! Hey, but go crazy for herbs. Just mixed some coriander with my tomatoes (can you tell they are in season here in Alberta?) and threw in some lime juice and onion too, wrapped it with tofu and it was yummy and colourful...I'm an artsy girl so colour is so important to enjoying it. Can you eat pesto? that's another way to spread a wee bit more flavour into a wrap. Add garlic and ginger whenever you need more ooomph! oh and thanks heaps for the cous cous post, had some today, forgot about that stuff, YUM! Thanks